On the occasion of the celebration this year of the Natura 2000 Network Day, the Mariñas-Betanzos Association, in collaboration with IBADER and EMALCSA, organized a technical seminar to disseminate the latest results of the LIFE Fluvial project.
The event, held at the facilities of the Center for University Extension and Environmental Dissemination of Galicia (CEIDA), had two different parts.
In the first place, in the morning, in addition to the institutional opening by the director of CEIDA, the territorial manager of Tragsatec for Galicia, Asturias and Cantabria, as well as the president of the Mariñas Coruñesas e Terras do Mandeo Biosphere Reserve, offered the following presentations:
– FLUVIAL LIFE. Restoration actions in river corridors. Mr. Javier Ferreiro da Costa. Researcher at IBADER (University of Santiago de Compostela)
– Restoration actions in wetlands associated with river corridors. Mr. Pablo Ramil Rego. Director of IBADER (University of Santiago de Compostela)
– Current Situation of the state of the fauna in the Abegondo-Cecebre Reservoir and historical inventory. Mr. Ricardo Ferreiro Sanjurjo. President Habitat Naturalist Group
– LIFE On Machair: Protecting and restoring Ireland’s network of machair systems and associated breeding wader and pollinator communities (online intervention). Presentation of the project by Javier Ferreiro (IBADER) with material provided by Ms. Catherine Farrell (Trinity College Dublin, Natural Capital Ireland, Community Wetlands Forum).
– Generation of plant for environmental restoration actions. Mr. Pedro Pablo Gallego Veigas. Professor of Plant Biology and Soil Sciences (University of Vigo)
– LIFE Insular: comprehensive strategy for the restoration of habitats on Natura 2000 islands in the Atlantic Ocean. Mr. José Antonio Fernández Bouzas. Director of the Maritime-Terrestrial National Park of the Atlantic Islands of Galicia
– Round table “Governance in Red Natura 2000 and Biosphere Reserves”, with the participation of:
- Ms. Teresa María Gutiérrez López. Director of the Galician Augas Autonomous Body
- Mr. Carlos Gil Villar. Technical Adviser Coasts A Coruña Demarcation. Ministry of Ecological Transition and Demographic Challenge
- Mr. Ricardo Ferreiro Sanjurjo. President Habitat Naturalist Group
On the other hand, already in the afternoon, the attendees had the opportunity to take a guided tour of the LIFE Fluvial action areas in the province of A Coruña; the ZEC Embalse de Abegondo-Cecebre and the ZEC Betanzos-Mandeo.
The seminar was attended by a total of 40 people, mainly from the university environment, environmental entities and local and regional administrations.